She was an amazing cook. Before me and my brother came along she made a career from catering and hospitality and was renowned for her home cooked foods. She baked bread from scratch, always sent my Dad and Granddad to work with fresh food and her baking was divine.
When my mum died I was lucky enough to get the two cook books that she owned (A Bero Book and a book my Mrs Beaton). She used to bake and cook from memory so I thought that the recipe for her scones had been lost forever. But I was hunting for something the other week and I found a page with the recipe on. I have tweaked it a little.
Ingredients (makes 12)
- 300g self-raising flour
- 75g cold butter cubed
- 100g Char-grilled Peppers (chopped) I use Sacla Char Grilled Peppers Antipasti
- ½ tsp dried thyme
- ½ tsp baking powder
- 100ml milk
- 1 egg
- Heat your oven to 220 degrees c (gas mark 7) and lightly grease a baking tray or use a silicone baking sheet on top of a tray.
- Place flour and baking powder in to a bowl and rub in the butter until it resembles bread crumbs (I actually use my food blender for this part and just give it a quick pulse).
- Crack and beat the egg and add enough milk to it to make 150ml.
- Add the herbs and peppers to the liquid and mix in to the dry mix with a butter knife till it is a soft dough. Do not over mix.
- On a lightly floured surface kneed until smooth and roll out till around 1 cm thick (I just press with my hands).
- Cut with a 7cm (ish) cutter ( you will get approx 12 scones)
- Place on the baking tray and brush the tops of them with some milk (try not to go over the edge as it stops them rising evenly)
- Bake for 15 minutes and place on a wire rack to cool.
You will have some of your Scala Char Grilled Peppers Antipasti left. We often add these to our home made pizza's or they are great inside mozzarella pitta breads too. Once opened they keep in the fridge for a couple of weeks. Being the frugal blogger that I am, I also never through away the oil in the jar. You can add that to the pizza base or pour on top. You can even use it to cook chicken in.