My mum often made a cobbler topping for stews and they are delicious.
I use the recipe my mum Did, which is from the Be-ro book
- 175 g (6 oz) Be-Ro Self Raising Flour
- pinch salt and pepper
- 1 x 2.5 ml spoon (½ tsp) mustard powder
- 25 g (1 oz) margarine
- 75 g (3 oz) cheese, grated
- 1 medium egg
- 2 x 15 ml spoon (2 tbsp) milk
- Heat oven to 200ºC
- Mix flour and seasonings, rub in margarine. Stir in cheese, reserving a little for the top.
- Mix to a soft dough with the egg and milk, reserving a little for glazing.
- Roll out to a round 1.5 cmtop of Stew or on a baking tray and brush with egg and milk and sprinkle with cheese.
- Bake for about 10-15 minutes until golden brown.