This week is Bacon Connoisseurs’ Week and when Morrisons Supermarket contacted me to ask if I would like to try some of their ‘The Best’ bacon. I had to say yes (not for me you understand, but the boys adore bacon)! Bacon Connoisseurs’ Week runs from 19th – 25th March and is an annual event that was created to help support British farming.
I have to admit that I am not a bacon fan, no really. I was vegetarian for 14 years and didn't miss it one bit, especially when I returned to cooking it to find it all watery and well not nice at all.
We were sent The Best Applewood smoked dry cured back bacon and The Best Lightly Smoked Sweetcure rindless back bacon to test
Both types of bacon were delicious, neither gave off water, had minimal shrinkage and tasted superb. Firstly I served the Applewood Smoked up for Sunday breakfast on English Muffins with poached eggs (my tip for poached eggs is to add a little white wine vinegar to the water).
We also used the bacon in an Aldo Zilli inspired carbonara, which I sampled at the MFEST launch (mine was not as nice, but it still went down well)
- 400 g spaghetti
- 1 banana shallot, chopped
- i packet of The Best Sweetcure Bacon, chopped
- 8 egg yolks
- 50 g grated Parmesan
- generous pinch of grated nutmeg
- Chopped parsley
- Bring a large pan of salted water to the boil. Cook the pasta in the boiling salted water for 8-10 minutes until al dente.
- Heat the olive oil in a deep frying pan and cook the shallot and bacon over a medium heat golden.
- Beat the egg yolks, parmesan cheese, nutmeg, black pepper and chopped parsley.
- Drain the pasta, reserving a ladleful of the cooking water and add to thebacon and shallott in the pan with enough cooking water to moisten.
- Tip the pasta, bacon and shallots into the cheesy beaten eggs and toss everything together. The heat from the pasta will cook the egg mixture. Serve straight away with a sprinkling of black pepper and extra parmesan shavings.