Image from Baking Mad website (boys ate mine before pictures were taken)!
Yesterday was Maxi's seventh birthday and in addition to the always asked for chocolate Smartie birthday cake, I thought I would make some cupcakes for everyone. We will be making 36 for school on Monday and tried this recipe. No images as the boys and their friends ate them before I got the chance, as I was running late!
Ingredients (makes 12)
- 3 Twinnings Earl Grey Tea Bags
- 120 ml Milk
- 120g caster sugar
- 120g plain flour
- 1 1/2 tsp baking powder
- pinch of salt
- 40g softened unsalted butter
- 1 large egg
- 500g icing sugar
- 150g unsalted softened butter
- Ideally you need to warm the milk and infuse the tea bags overnight (I only did this for an hour as was time limited, so the taste for very mild).
- Preheat oven to 190 degrees and line a tray with 12 cases
- Take the sugar, flour, salt, baking powder and 40g of unsalted butter and mix together (this will form a crum consistency).
- take 90ml of your infused milk and whisk in the egg,
- add the milk and egg mix to the dry ingredients and whisk until smooth and thick
- spoon mixture in to the 12 cases
- cook for between 18.20 minutes
- take out and cook on a wire rack
- mix the 500g of icing sugar with the 150g of soften butter and the remaining 30ml of infused milk for the the frosting.
Keeping on the tea theme, you can find my top Mothers Day Tea gifts on The Mad House and you can also get two free samples of tea on the Twinings Facebook page and buy tea online from Twinnings too.